Citric acid is generally regarded as a natural and thus completely harmless substance. That would actually be the same, it would not be used as concentrated acid in countless foods and beverages. In this isolated form, citric acid is extremely harmful to health. It increases, among other things, the absorption of aluminium into the body, promotes harmful oxidation processes, attacks the cell membranes and damages the enamel.
Consumption and Loss
The use of citric acid in the food industry has taken on enormous dimensions, since it is now one of the most important additives in the food production sector.
This is also not surprising as citric acid has some technologically important properties. The manufacturers of finished products thus convince them by their function as preservatives and complexes as well as acidifier agents, acid regulators and melting salt.
Effects Of Citric Acid Overdose
Citric acid reduces oxidation processes which accelerate the spoilage of foodstuffs by means of oxygen or light. At the same time, citric acid also prevents odour, colour and taste changes, which are also caused by oxidation processes. In this way, citric acid acts as an ideal preservative. As you can see, citric acid is found in countless finished products and household goods for various reasons. This is not, of course, about the acidity of sun-ripened fruits, in which the citric acid occurs in its natural form.
In this process, free radicals enter the cell membranes and trigger a chain reaction that ultimately leads to cell damage. Normally, the body’s own antioxidants, such as the superoxide dismutase prevent the attack on the cell membranes. But precisely these important radical catchers are inhibited by the aluminium-citric acid complex in their activity. However, it becomes really dangerous when the citric acid has a connection with aluminium. Then of course this metal can also get into the brain together with the citric acid. While the citric acid is degraded here, the aluminium remains and is stored there. Aluminium acts highly toxic to the nerve cells.